Thursday, September 22, 2011

50/50

The other day I was lucky enough to catch a promo screening of 50/50.

Introducing my rating system: 4 and a half reels out of 5. (Now I just need images)

I've never had to deal with cancer in any sort of way but if I was to deal with it in any way then I would imagine it would be something like this movie. I know I'll be fine because I'll have close friends that will always try to make me smile (and take advantage of a situation in order to get laid). I'll have a overbearing mother to look after me. And maybe I'll have a significant other at my side to support me. Cancer is not an easy subject to buy into but the filmmakers treat the subject with respect and humor. I believe anyone can relate to the film whether they have had cancer, knew someone with it, or has never had it but maybe fears it a little.

Adam (Joseph Gordon-Levitt - 500 Days of Summer, Brick) is a normal straight-arrowed guy. He jogs, he works...he recycles. He has a best friend, a girlfriend, and an overbearing mother. His life is interrupted when he is diagnosed with a rare form of cancer in his back. We follow Adam as he goes through therapy with Katherine (Anna Kendrick - Up In The Air, Scott Pilgrim Vs The World ) who may be a little inexperienced to deal with a case such as Adam. And we meet fellow patients Mitch and Alan (Matt Frewer and Phillip Baker hall) who act as another support base when others in Adam's fail to come through.

The structure of the story is not anything new. What makes this film work is the cast and every part is cast perfectly. Joseph Gordon-Levitt been mainly doing independent films but thanks to Christopher Nolan and Inception, JGL seems to be a little more popular these days. He quietly but powerfully plays his role as Adam. Angelica Huston plays Adam's overbearing mother. The way they played off each other in one scene, I nearly lost it. To balance out the heavy dramatic stuff, we have Seth Rogen playing Adam's best friend, Kyle. Seth Rogen's character is pretty much like any other one of his characters in other movies, but played with some more heart. It made me think that if I ever was diagnosed with a potentially terminal disease, I know my friends' humor would help me get through things because with all things in life, you have to have a little humor.

This film is simply told. It will make you cry and it will make you laugh. It's not a film that would offend anyone. It's a film that might make you take a closer look at some of the relationships in your life and appreciate what you have. You probably didn't need a film to show you such things, but it's hard to watch a film about cancer and not be emotionally moved.



Sidenote: I am a little bias towards Joseph Gordon-Levitt movies. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm Bias toward him too! I'm very excited for this movie!!

    ReplyDelete