Friday, September 30, 2011

Moneyball

My rating: Three and a half reels out of 5

This movie is getting way too much Oscar buzz. Essentially being called The Social Network of baseball movies. The problem though, it's not as good as The Social Network.

Most baseball movies usually focus on the players. With Moneyball, the focus is on the general manager and the business side of baseball. Billy Beane, (Brad Pitt) is a former baseball player and now a general manager for the Oakland A's, who attempts to put a team together with a low budget and by using computer-generated analysis to sign players.

Moneyball is really all about Billy Beane. He has the most depth out of all the characters. He's a risk taker and is defying the odds. Except for Peter Brand (Jonah Hill), most of the other staff and coaches are given one purpose: to defy what Billy Beane wants and what he is doing. He goes against the traditional ways of doing things and no one likes it. With a lot of one dimensional characters, the ensemble cast comes off as a little bland.


Moneyball is different from all other baseball movies and sports movies, and that's actually a good thing. There's no exciting dramatic finish to win a spot into the playoffs or to win a championship. There's no inspiring speech to stir up the team. It was just one man's perspective during one season of baseball, but when you only make one person interesting in the whole movie, then why should I care...

You might enjoy this movie if:
1. You like baseball movies.
2. Your favorite team is the Oakland A's.

You probably won't enjoy this movie if:
1. You think baseball is boring.
2. Your favorite team is the Oakland A's (lol).



On a personal note: I actually grew up liking Oakland A's baseball and I remember the season that this movie is based on. The movie was a little nostalgic for me and I probably liked it more than I should have because it was about my favorite team. I've kind of become a fair weather fan. As soon as I know my team is out of the playoffs, I stop paying attention. But it's because at that point, football season started. I can't even name anyone on the roster for this season. So for someone like me, I kind of forgotten all about that season. I do remember yelling at the tv during the playoffs and my dad for getting me at me because I was so loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment