Saturday, September 17, 2011

Taking a look closer...

The other day I was asked..."What's your favorite movie?" I come across this question a lot and it is usually brought up after I mention I was a film student in college. For the longest time, I would say American Beauty. For me, it was the movie that changed the way I saw movies and my career choice. However, I can't tell you the last time I saw this movie and I rarely get urges these days to watch it. It has lost its rewatch value with me. Don't get me wrong, it's a great movie. I'm just not going out of my way to watch it. So does this mean I don't have one all-time favorite anymore?

The simple question of what is my favorite movie is a difficult question to answer for me these days. Simply because I have too many movies to choose from now. There's no way I can choose one over the other because every movie has a different taste and texture. If we simplify into one type of movie, then it's a little easier. When you ask me what's my favorite zombie movie, I will say Shaun of the Dead. My favorite football movie, Friday Night Lights. Picking one all-time favorite movie out of thousands I've seen...becoming increasing difficult.

The two movies I mentioned above, I could watch over and over and I do go out of my way to watch them when I get the urge. So do repeated viewings entail that it is your favorite movie of all time? No, because I watched Independence Day in theatres 14 times when I was younger and Gladiator 11 times. All those times they were in theatres (good thing I was working in a theatre by the time Gladiator came out, didn't pay anything to see it). How many times have I watched those movies on dvd at home? 1 to 2 times each. Some movies are just better on the big screen or with a kick ass home system, which I don't have. And if watching a movie amount of times would define your favorite movie, then Star Wars would be my favorite movie of all time. I've lost count though of how many times I've seen it.

When it comes down to it, American Beauty was a sentimental thing for me. Before, I was just into your typical blockbuster type of movies, lots of action and violence...no thought usually needed. Afterwards, I had a deeper appreciation for movies, of any genre. American Beauty was essesntially the first grown up film I ever liked. I felt something emotional stir inside of me and it was something I had never gotten from watching a movie before. It established that I could find a way to relate to a movie in some way. Movies that engage me through emotion, thought, or technical merit are the movies that stay memorable for me these days.  American Beauty doesn't have the impact it once did, all movies lose that initial impact after a while. After thinking about it a little more..."what's my favorite movie" is no longer a difficult question. American Beauty really is my favorite movie of all-time.

So what's your all-time favorite movie? and Why?



6 comments:

  1. All time favorite is still hard for me. As cheesy and horrible as this sounds if I were put on the spot and had to choose a movie.... I'd go with Romeo and Juliet or Moulin Rouge. I like the take on the new R+J I know I know shaksphere is rolling in his grave, but I can't help it. and UM.. singing Ewan need I say more? haha Where's McKay to roll his eyes and say I'm wrong? I'm waiting..........

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's ok because I can't judge someone else's favorite movie because everyone has a favorite movie for different reasons. And if Mckay gives you crap, you can give him crap for liking M. Night Shyamalan so much, lol. I still have yet to see Moulin Rouge...I kind of skipped that week in my Intro to film class :o

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should watch it. We can watch it at my house:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joe- loved the post! I would have to say ONE of my all-time favorite movies (which falls into into the genre-type of indie-drama) is Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. The acting, writing, editing, and cinematography are AMAZING and I connect with the film on so many emotional and personal levels every time I watch it. Another favorite, which is on the opposite end of the spectrum, is The Wedding Singer. This just goes to further your point about feeling like you have to pick one kind of film to be your favorite when film is so varied and diverse and speaks to everyone differently.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first rule of Fight Club is to not talk about Fight Club.

    ReplyDelete